Saturday, May 21, 2005

Molly - the song in my heart



Molly December 2003

Molly and I met in 1992 when both of us were in the springtime (meaning that neither of us had gray hair or wrinkles :-) ) of our lives. I was visiting a friend in Maine who was living with a family that had adopted Molly as a puppy. I thought that Molly was the most beautiful creature that I had ever seen and enjoyed spending the weekend with her. A year later my friend called to tell me that Molly had been returned to the kennel because her long hair (Molly was a long-haired/coated GSD) was just too messy around the house and the family wanted a smaller dog. Go figure that one out....I didn't hesitate for a minute. I offered Molly a home and thus began my 11 year love affair with "mo chuisle." It was not an easy love affair. Molly was plagued with multiple serious physical challenges over the years.


Nonetheless, she always rose time and time again like the phoenix out of the ashes until August 13, 2004 when I had to say "ta me chomh doirte sin duit." It was a sunny day with a gentle breeze blowing. Molly and I lay on a blanket on the new mown grass under the shade of the maple tree. I bid her adieu with a heavy heart as she was released from pain and left me gently to finally fly home to the angels. Yes, I did say angels...because if there are no dogs in heaven, then you won't find me there.

Adieu Molly...
We have come to a fork in the road
Where we must part and say adieu
But you are never alone
You are always in my heart

Molly, you are finally free -
To run with the wind
To soar with the eagles
To jump over a rainbow
To play hide and seek in the clouds

Molly you are finally free -
To wink at the sun
To dance with the stars
To laugh with the moon beams

...until we meet again

And so my Molly, dhá chroí le chéile, ar neamhchead do na achar.

Do Not Weep....
(was the author American or British)


Do not stand at my grave and weep:
I am not there, I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on snow;
I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you wake in the morning hush,I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight;
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry:
I am not there. I did not die.

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Blogger TQ said...

We too lost our wonderful CASEY after 10 years, we still have BONEHEAD but it's not the same. Find another freind at the shelter as we will in the fall, you can't replace a freind but you can ease the pain and start a new freindship.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Erika Cruvinel said...

Dear Sharon
I have tears in my eyes! Molly's story is just as beautiful as Holling's. I have an old English Sheep Dog, his name is Pinguim. I had a female Sheep Dog too, but she died last year and it was very difficult to say goodbye to her!
Beijinhos
Erika

 

Post a Comment

<< Home